The Benefits of HACCP
Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), refers to a systematic approach to food safety that is focused on prevention. This standard aims to prevent biological, chemical or physical hazards in the production processes which can cause the finished product to be unsafe. The HACCP system requires that potential risks are identified and controlled at specific points during the food production or handling process. This food-safety standard can be implemented by any company involved in the manufacturing, processing or handling of food products in order to minimise or eliminate food safety hazards in their products.
The HACCP is based on seven core principles, which guides procedures
- Conduct a Hazard Analysis
- Identify the Critical Controls
- Establish critical limits
- Establish monitoring procedures
- Establish corrective actions
- Establish record-keeping procedures
- Establish verification procedures
The benefits of implementing HACCP and HACCP certification:
- Save your business money in the long term.
- Implement internationally recognised food safety hazard controls
- Demonstrates your business’ commitment to food safety
- Ensure you are compliant with the law
- Give producers, stakeholders and suppliers confidence in your controls
- Effectively manage food safety risks across the entire supply chain
- Organise your process to produce safe food
- Offer due diligence defence in court
- Coordinate your staff, thereby promoting teamwork and efficiency.
- Recommended by the Codex Alimentarius Commission
- Can be applied throughout the food chain, from primary producer to the final consumer.
- Facilitate a more effective use of resources
- Better inventory control
- Promote an increase in product quality
- Facilitate an increase in profit
As HACCP is continually developed and updated, it ensures that it is up to date with current risks. HACCP requires a multi-disciplinary team for implementation and follows prescriptive steps. Implementing a HACCP plan requires the full commitment from management and your HACCP team, but the benefits far outweigh the difficulties faced during application.
To learn more about HACCP, and how it can benefit your business, contact DQS today!